An award-winning firm located in Charlottesville, VA, VMDO enjoys success with a talented team of architects, designers, and support staff of 60. We provide planning and architectural design for a variety of educational and institutional clients.
We are currently seeking a creative, organized, responsible, and team-oriented designer to join our firm as a Designer I (0-3 years of experience). In addition to demonstrating ability and eagerness to fulfill the qualifications and responsibilities outlined below, the successful candidate will possess an ongoing commitment to improving his or her craft, enthusiasm for continued growth and learning, and an interest in sustainable design practices (with motivation to pursue LEED accreditation or equivalent by the first anniversary of employment). At a minimum, candidates should have an Undergraduate degree from a NAAB accredited Architecture or CIDA accredited Interior Design Education Program.
- Work closely with junior and senior project leaders (Job Captain, PA, PMs) to execute and develop design or technical solutions in each phase of the project delivery process.
- Strong design and/or technical skills
- Excellent graphic and verbal communication skills
- Competence in working within a collaborative design environment
- Ability to work independently to carry out instructions with intermittent input + supervision
- Proficiency in documenting design details that have been provided by project lead. Confidence in generating solutions, expanding on the information provided and exploring alternate solutions for consideration
- Familiarity working at varied scales of design in both digital and hand drawn formats
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative and MS Office Suites
- Proficiency in 3D modeling, experience in rendering, presentation, and design in software such as Revit, Sketch Up, or Rhino
- Proficiency in physical model making and hand drawing / sketching is a plus
- Interest in participating in firm initiatives outside assigned work, professional or community organizations and activities that will enhance your knowledge of architecture and design
Please email your cover letter, resume, portfolio, and salary history as one file (no larger than 5 MB in PDF format) to email@example.com. Please reference Career Opportunities/John Nagao in the subject line.